Thursday, May 27, 2010

Full Moon? Probably not.

I know I promised some more posts and no this isn't one I was planning. I need to get this off my chest though and since I use my Blog as more of a journal, here is where it will unfold.

I don't know why but a lot of my friends who are mom's are having a rough time right now. But ME... I am having the hardest time I think I have ever had in my life. Sure I have come to my bumps in the road throughout my time here on earth and yes they were difficult... times that I thought were the absolute worst. But that was when it was just ME. I wasn't given anyone else to take care of. I was my sole responsibility. Today that is not the case.

I have been blessed with the greatest thing I could have EVER asked for. Heavenly Father has for some reason seen something in me that I am for now blinded to. He saw in me the ability to care for, raise, and be there for this sweet blessing, and for the time being, I feel SO unworthy of it. Of HIM.

When people tell you parenthood is hard... they honestly mean it. When people say, "I wish they came with a handbook...", it's true. When people say, "Just you wait...", just wait. It IS NOT easy. I DO wish he came with an instruction book. And in my wildest dreams... and all my knowledge I THOUGHT I had... I couldn't have waited for this.

As of now my heart feels heavy. Here I am blessed with the greatest blessing; my very own CHILD. A piece of Heaven HERE, in my home, in my ARMS. I am blessed to be able to have children. To be healthy and have him healthy too. To be able to have the ability to TRY my hardest to raise him the way I was. To follow and love the gospel. And still here I sit feeling so guilty for the way I have been feeling.

The last two nights I have hardly slept. My sweet baby is growing and learning just as I am. I think he is really trying out this crying thing. I find myself getting overly frustrated at this tiny little person who can't do anything for himself. I get mad that he's fed, changed, held, yet it still isn't enough. He throws up what I feed him, fills his diaper JUST as he is falling asleep, and is restless. Who am I to get so upset?!

Questions keep coming to my mind: How did I ever get blessed with him? Why on EARTH did I get so upset with this little guy? What am I doing WRONG? I feel as though I am failing at this mother thing. And as hard as I try I can't shake this stupid feeling.

I KNOW I will be a good mom because I WANT to be. I KNOW I have to be PATIENT for as he is learning, so am I. (but we all know how patient I am... not) I KNOW I need to continue to pray for that patience and for the ability to BE WHO I AM STRIVING to be. I KNOW I need to stop and count to ten sometimes. I KNOW I need to breath... And only THEN can I be the mother all my friends and family members have shown me how to be. I WILL get this. I WILL because Heavenly Father has entrusted to me, Little Colston Michael, and it's my JOB. So here is to being a better mom for my little man.

Thank you to everyone who is a continual example to me of what a mother should be, and NEEDS to be. I promise to try harder.

PS: Colston,
Forgive me for my moments of frustration. Know it isn't your fault. You don't do anything wrong. I know I tell you that a lot... but it's true and I think it's lame how often I have to tell you that. I am frustrated with myself for not being able to make everything ok for you all the time. I love you more than ANYTHING and more than I will EVER be able to tell you or show you... Grama Connie was right when she said, "It's something you won't know or feel til you have children of your own." So yes, please forgive me. ALLLL my love forever and ever and ever.... Mom


3 comments:

Angela said...

Its all true. We learn as we go, and sometimes we wont know until we get there. I can tell you this though - Its all worth it!I know its the best thing I have done. The most rewarding (besides my sweetheart). He is a lovely one, that boy of yours, and he will figure things out along with you. You have your whole life to work on it, and your not the only mom to feel frustration, irritation, fatigue, and the constant ride on the emotional roller coaster!

Laura Dunford said...

Oh, it makes me feel sad knowing how frustrated you are with yourself :( all I've got to give is love and I love you! Hang in there. I know when I have kids I'll be running to you for advice, you'll be so pro!

imadair

Janice said...

hang in there. there will always be ups and downs. the trick is to keep a good attitude and to be grateful like you are. You're doing just fine. Don't try to be supermom. Simplify. Give yourself the gift of loving yourself, the way Heavenly Father does. None of us is perfect and what we compare ourselves to in others is usually the good in them and the worst in ourselves. Not exactly fair! Allow yourself the same feelings, time, down days you'd allow any of your friends. Be a friend to yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes and to start again tomorrow. I can't say it ever gets easy or even easier, there's always something, but you're never alone and you are always loved!